Monday, February 12, 2007

Claw Toe



When a new Fairbanks baby is born the happy parents don't count the fingers and toes... they look to see if the little bundle of joy has THE toe. The Fairbanks Toe. Most of my relatives are afflicted with this strange phenomenon. I know that Poppy, Uncle Jeff, Dad, Aunt Kelly (severe case) Beau, and myself all have it. I am not sure about Allison, Alex, Riley, Sid or Jack? maybe they have it? The above picture is of my little "tootsies" at about 3 months.. pay close attention to the baby toe (the last toe) on each foot. Those suffering from the Fairbanks toe or the claw toe have basically the same symtoms: a tiny or dwarf baby toe that is sort of curled sideways. The sideways slant makes the toe have an incredibly sharp callus on the edge/tip that is very good for wounding/slicing a spouse on the legs while laying in bed... so I have that going for me when I get married. It kind of looks like the poor little toe is taking a siesta on its side. Not a pretty sight. This freakish little digit sort of reminds some people of a dog's dew claw and is every bit as useful. Dad says that the Fairbanks' of the future will likely have evolved to having only 4 toes, if only to spare innocent people from having to see it.


Bedtime.


Brady


P.S. Dad thinks he could be a hand model. I told him that the fact that he doesn't bite his fingernails doesn't mean his hands could move product on Madison Avenue... plus- look how stubby they are!! Oh well, let him dream.

3 comments:

Momma Banks said...

Those are such cute little feet, even with the claw toe. I believe the "toe" to be a problem only on the paperback book feet of adult Fairbanks.

Allison said...

I have the toe! so does Ax!

Marilee said...

I think the "toe" gene must be dominant. And I am now convinced that there must have been a (monkey, and I do mean monkey not what you are thinking) in the woodpile somewhere back in the Fairbanks clan.